Enjoy Learn Achieve
Welcome to Our School - Mr A Brierley - Head Teacher
ENJOY, LEARN, ACHIEVE
The West Croft Guarantee
At West Croft, by the end of Year 6, we expect all pupils to experience the following:
- A curriculum which is based on the natural inquisitiveness of children through enquiry led learning.
- A curriculum which includes and challenges all pupils to achieve their very best.
- A curriculum where pupils feel safe to make mistakes and learn from them.
- A curriculum which encourages creativity and experimentation to find out what strengths and talents each pupil has.
- A curriculum where learning takes place inside and outside the classroom.
- A curriculum which builds confidence by developing the freedom of speech and encouraging questioning.
- Activities that encrich the learning experiences such as visitors, trips and interactive experiences.
- Residentials to broaden horizons and develop independence.
- A wide range of extra-curricula activities before, during and after school.
- Opportunities to develop positive friendships and relationships across the school setting.
Enjoy, Learn, Achieve:
our aims for your child
Our vision is simple: we want all our children to enjoy their time at West Croft. Think of your own learning and you will probably find that your most memorable learning came from an experience you enjoyed. It's the same for the children: a child who enjoys school is more likely to learn. With learning comes achievement. Please note that this is not the same as attainment: attainment is competitive, achievement is improvement on personal best.
We set high expectations of our pupils because we want our children to achieve and because we want to equip them with the necessary life skills to make decisions and take control of their own destinies in the 'real world'. We want our children to steer their own path through life, not have their lives determined by others.
Teaching and Learning
At West Croft we encourage children to talk about their learning to and with adults and their peers: if you can articulate your thoughts you are more able to write them down clearly. We place great value on teaching through guided learning: the teacher working with small groups to correct misconceptions and provide support and challenge. Sometimes this work can take place outside the class with a Teaching Assistant or one-to-one teacher.
We set whole school targets for Literacy and Numeracy. These give children a clear focus for their learning and a clear sense of achievement.
The History of West Croft School
Built originally in the 1950s, the school benefits from two spacious, well-equipped halls from which the main building rooms extend. Classrooms are of a generous size and where possible are grouped by year. There are also additional areas for group study and two Libraries. The school also benefits from its own kitchens providing healthy breakfasts and lunches for all!
The school is situated in pleasant grounds. There are two playground areas for upper and lower school which are marked with games and activties to encourage positive play. The field area is large, allowing for two football pitches, a climbing adventure play area and a all-weather multi use games area. There is also a small arboretum and attractive areas for environmental studies, including our own pond and allotment area, where vegetables and flowers are grown.
Pynes Infants and Nursery was originally on the adjacent site. The amalgamation of the two schools in September 2015 has allowed the children to move safely between sites using all the facilities. As a result, we are able to produce a very effective, integrated curriculum, appropriate to the nursery and primary age range.