Welcome to our School
'West Croft School is a safe, thriving and inclusive community with respect at its heart. Together, we will develop aspirational, resilient, lifelong learners. Our children will be encouraged to enjoy, learn, achieve and reach their full potential.”
Welcome to West Croft School. Children are at the heart of everything we do and our staff are committed to nurturing a love of learning by providing rich and exciting opportunities, which enable children to be creative, inquisitive, happy, caring and independent.
By working together in partnership with parents and the community we aim to enhance the learning journey of every child at our school enabling them to aspire with confidence to be their very best.
Visitors are always welcome to see what West Croft can offer, simply make an appointment at the school office.
At West Croft School we believe that:
• children have a right to be safe and should be protected from all forms of abuse and neglect
• safeguarding children is everyone's responsibility
• it is better to help children as early as possible, before any issues escalate and become more damaging
• children and families are best supported and protected when there is a coordinated response from all the relevant agencies.
The West Croft Guarantee:
At West Croft, by the end of Year 6, we expect all pupils to experience the following:
- A curriculum which is based on the natural inquisitiveness of children through enquiry led learning.
- A curriculum which includes and challenges all pupils to achieve their very best.
- A curriculum where pupils feel safe to make mistakes and learn from them.
- A curriculum which encourages creativity and experimentation to find out what strengths and talents each pupil has.
- A curriculum where learning takes place inside and outside the classroom.
- A curriculum which builds confidence by developing the freedom of speech and encouraging questioning.
- Activities that enrich the learning experiences such as visitors, trips and interactive experiences.
- Residentials to broaden horizons and develop independence.
- A wide range of extra-curricula activities before, during and after school.
- Opportunities to develop positive friendships and relationships across the school setting.
Enjoy, Learn, Achieve: Our aims for your child
Teaching and Learning
At West Croft we encourage children to talk about their learning to and with adults and their peers: if you can articulate your thoughts you are more able to write them down clearly. We place great value on teaching through guided learning: the teacher working with small groups to correct misconceptions and provide support and challenge. Sometimes this work can take place outside the class with a learning assistant or one-to-one teacher.
We set whole school targets for English and Maths. These give children a clear focus for their learning and a clear sense of achievement.
The History of West Croft School
Built originally in the 1950's, the school benefits from two spacious, well-equipped halls from which the main building rooms extend. Classrooms are of a generous size and where possible are grouped by year. There are also additional areas for group study and two Libraries. The school also benefits from its own kitchens providing healthy breakfasts and lunches for all!
The school is situated in pleasant grounds. There are two playground areas for upper and lower school which are marked with games and activities to encourage positive play. The field area is large, allowing for two football pitches, a climbing adventure play area and a all-weather multi use games area. There is also a small arboretum and attractive areas for environmental studies, including our own pond and allotment area, where vegetables and flowers are grown.
Pynes Infants and Nursery was originally on the adjacent site. The amalgamation of the two schools in September 2015 has allowed the children to move safely between sites using all the facilities. As a result, we are able to produce a very effective, integrated curriculum, appropriate to the nursery and primary age range.